Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What I'm currently working on

These are some of the blocks I'm currently working on from a BOM I took at the Quilt Barn in Puyallup, WA. There are a total of 12 pieced and 12 appliqued blocks, but they didn't all fit up on my design wall. Of the pieced blocks, all but one are done and since I fused the first 4 months of the applique blocks I decided (instead of redoing those by hand) to fuse the remaining eight blocks as well, which means they all need satin stitching now.
For the satin stitching I had to change my usual machine set-up from my Juki, which is a pure straight stitch machine, back to my Pfaff Quilt Style. Once everything was set up I used a 2.0/.3 zig-zag setting for the satin stitching and tear-away stabilizer. It's quite time consuming (about an hour per block), but it just makes some of the lighter fabrics "pop".
I think the top will be large enough without the use of sashing, but I haven't made a final decision on that yet. Since I have to buy fabric for the border and backing anyway and the blocks are not all done yet, I will let inspiration hit me whenever it comes. lol

3 comments:

Susan said...

I really like those blocks, and the satin stitching looks good. I usually use the buttonhole, but Moira uses satin stitching, too. Before you decide on no stripping, try a few with something in between - something light or medium. Or even the same background, if you have it - that would make the blocks really float. They seem just a little too close without something. But that's just me, and it isn't my quilt. =) You've been busy with those UFOs!

Gail said...

Gabriele, this is so beautiful, I love every aspect of it. I look forward to seeing how you finish it.

WIPPYSPLACE said...

I am with Susan on this--I too, would love to see something separating the blocks..nothing too elaborate that it deters from the blocks---but maybe you dont want them running all together?!?!? just a thought *~*CAROLE*~*