Thursday, September 25, 2008

Yesterday's doings

Yesterday I picked up my shirt for the Phoenix race for the cure on October 12th.
This cause is very close to my heart, because my mother passed away from breast cancer on February 13th 2005, after a ten year battle. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer while I was pregnant with our son and she passed away the day before his tenth birthday and just a little over 2 weeks after her 67th birthday. I miss having her around. She is probably the strongest woman I've ever known. A fighter with a big heart, who touched many lives.
Contributing to organizations like the Susan G. Koman foundation will hopefully make a difference in the life of many families, so that they will not have to suffer the loss of a loved one to cancer.
Remember, breast cancer awareness month is in October!
Here are a few links:

http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm
http://www.nbcam.org/
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=2
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/breast


Staying with the color scheme of the t-shirt, here's a little table topper I'll be putting together.
The four Drunkard's Path units were made in a demonstration for the Progressive Sampler quilt I was teaching and I don't like blocks or samples to go to waste, so I'll be adding some sashing strips and the purple center square to turn the blocks into a small table topper. :o)

This next block is another quick block I used to quickly demonstrate sashing to the class.

Don't know if any of you have tried out some of the new battings that are on the market now. Since I had to kill some time to sign up for the Race for the Cure, I visited JoAnn's. They had all packaged battings on sale (40%), so I thought I'll give the new Bamboo batting from Fairfield a try. It's a 50/50 mix of bamboo fibers and cotton. Very soft to the touch. I' bought a queen size batting, so I can try it both for hand and machine quilting. I'll let you all know how I like it after I had the chance to test it.

Last, but not least, I received my signature blocks back in the mail from a swap that was done on WASIQ (Washington State Internet Quilters). Unfortunately 13 participants dropped out, but it still leaves me with 77 signature blocks (if I counted correctly lol). This should be a fast quilt to put together, once I can decide on the layout I want to use for the blocks. Oh, so many options!

No comments: